Bounty of Bulk: Red Beans & Rice
Across time, space and culture, there are a few dishes that achieve legendary status. Red Beans and Rice is one of those meals, based on the humble and versatile red bean. Save money and buy bulk protein and fiber packed legumes: Organic Small Red Beans are only $2.49 per pound in the Co-op’s Bulk section. These beans are a bit smaller than kidney beans and can be used in place of pinto beans in recipes.
Recipe from Co+op.com
- 1 tablespoon vegetable or coconut oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced (reserve 2 tablespoons raw onion for the salsa)
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon red chili flakes
- 1 14-ounce can coconut milk
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup brown rice, rinsed and drained
- 1 15-ounce can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the Salsa:
- 2 kiwis, peeled and diced
- 2 oranges, peeled, seeded and diced
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, finely minced
- 1 small jalapeño pepper, seeds and ribs removed, finely minced
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons minced yellow onion
Directions: In a large pot, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Sauté the onion for 2-4 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for another minute. Add the allspice, thyme, chili flakes, coconut milk, water and rice, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to simmer, cover the pot, and cook for approximately 30 minutes, or until the rice is tender and most of the liquid is absorbed.
While the rice is cooking, gently stir together the kiwi, oranges, 2 tablespoons minced yellow onion, ginger, jalapeño pepper, and lime juice in a mixing bowl. Set aside. Once the rice is done, add the kidney beans, red wine vinegar, and salt and pepper to taste. Stir well and serve with salsa.