A Brunch with Bubbles: How to Build a Holiday Mimosa Bar
Part bubbly wine and part fruit juice – Mimosas are a celebratory adult beverage for almost any occasion, especially holiday brunches. Add some sparkle to the season and serve do-it-yourself mimosas as a fun holiday cocktail.
Mimosas taste great when made with a quality sparkling Cava or Prosecco. CV, the Co-op’s Wine Guy, recommends holding back on pricey French champagne. Instead, use crisp, fruity La Bella Prosecco, $7.99 per 750 ml. This value priced Italian sparkler is bursting with fragrant aromas of apple and peach, and makes a great match for any fruit juice.
Experiment with the tangy, sweet and complex flavors of fruit juices. Lemonade and limeade are bar workhorses, and can be used in addition to other juices. Columbia Gorge Organics offers a wide selection of fresh pressed, organic juices in small bottles. Try their Blood Orange, Wild Blackberry or pulpy Grapefruit for a sweet-tart kick. Or go for the exciting flavors of pomegranate, pineapple and blueberry.
Garnish: Accent your Mimosa bar with some fresh, prepared fruit. Offer a selection of citrus – lime, lemon, grapefruit and orange – wedges for serving. Include raspberries and cranberries as extra garnish.
Easy Steps to Mimosa Success
You will need:
- 1-3 bottles sparkling wine: Prosecco or Cava does nicely
- Selection of chilled juices: try orange,
- Fresh fruit: try berries: raspberries, blueberries, cranberries and citrus: lemon, orange, lime and grapefruit
- Serving glasses, champagne flutes are traditional
Directions: Arrange fresh fruit on a plate or two. Open sparkling wine and fruit juices. Instruct guests to create their own mimosa by following these steps: take a glass, add fruit, pour the glass half full with sparkling wine and fill the rest with juice.
- Cran-Orange Mimosa – sparkling wine, fresh orange juice and cranberries for garnish
- Raspberry Lime Mimosa – fresh raspberries, lime and lemon juice, lemon wedge for garnish
- Hawaiian Dream Mimosa – pineapple juice, a splash of coconut water, limeade, fresh raspberries and lime for garnish
- Blue Dazzle Mimosa – pomegranate juice, blueberry juice, fresh blueberry garnish