Cooking with Avocado Oil & Recipes
Avocados, also know as “butter pears” are the key ingredient in guacamole, but there’s so much more to love about these nutritious fruits. Today avocado oil is gaining popularity in the culinary and personal care arena. Avocado oil is also highly emollient, which means that it nurtures your hair, nails and skin, both from the inside-out (when you eat it) and outside-in (when applied topically).
Suitable for grilling and roasting temperatures up to 500°F, avocado oil contains a number of unique, monounsaturated plant-based fats. These “heart healthy” fats earn a gold star from nutritionists as they can help your body absorb fat soluble vitamins A and D. Look for high quality avocado oil at the Co-op. For example, Napa Valley Naturals Avocado Oil Expeller Pressed – is a versatile cooking high heat oil, ideal for dressings, popcorn topping, sauces and marinades.
5 Ways to Use Avocado Oil in the Kitchen
- Baking Substitute – When a recipe calls for butter, you can swap it out for the same amount of avocado oil without spoiling the texture or taste.
- Marinate & Grill It – Unless you use the right marinade, grilling at high temperatures can leave your meat dry and tasteless. Avocado oil can take the heat and help food retain its moisture while absorbing its juicy, buttery flavor. Before grilling, place fresh seafood or chicken in a bowl or Ziploc bag with some avocado oil and spices. Let it marinate for about two hours in the refrigerator before grilling.
- High Heat Cooking – avocado oil withstands high heat and it’s perfect for grilling, stir frying or pan searing vegetables, grains and/or meats.
- Add to fruit salad to preserve moisture and color. Coat sliced fresh fruit with avocado oil and a bit of lemon or lime juice.
- Garnish Your Soups – add flavor and nutrition and drizzle avocado oil over the top. The buttery flavor starts seeping through the rest of the soup and creates an earthy richness.
Simple Avocado Oil Salad Dressing
Top a bowl of leafy salad greens with this all-purpose avocado oil dressing recipe. Or drizzle over roasted vegetables, hearty soup or egg dishes.
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Freshly ground black pepper and sea salt, to taste
Directions: Whisk ingredients together until combined. Add to your favorite salad.
Recipe adpated from nomnompaleo.com
Use this versatile sauce as a dip, dressing, or sandwich spread.
- 1 large egg yolk
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 ½ teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- ¾ cup avocado oil
Directions: Bring all ingredients to room temperature. Put all the ingredients except the oil in a large bowl and whisk until the yolk thickened and the color brightened (around 30 seconds).
Add ¼ cup avocado oil in a slow steady stream while whisking vigorously (~1 minute). Keep bowl in place, I put it on a rubber mat and tied a towel around the base. After the oil is incorporated, slowly add a second ¼ cup of avocado oil and incorporate it for 30 seconds or so. Add the last ¼ cup of oil all at once and whisk it to emulsify the mayo completely.