CURED Applewood Smoked Chicken Sale
Swing by the Co-op’s Meat department and enjoy the rich flavors of roasted meat. Take home an Applewood Smoked 1/2 Chicken – now on sale for $3.99 per pound, regularly $4.99 per pound. Juicy and tender, these locally raised, free range birds are gently smoked over local Northwest apple wood for a smokey-sweet flavor. Pre-cooked and ready to use, this smoked chicken makes quick work of the task of fixing meals. Add CURED smoked chicken to soup, pasta salads and:
- Tacos – “pull” the meat apart, serve warm or chilled. Lightly grill Mi Rancho organic corn tortillas, then add diced white onion, fresh cilantro, black beans and salsa of choice. Serve with a lime wedge, sliced radish and hot sauce.
Salad – chop cold chicken meat coarsely, then add mayo, fresh pepper, a handful of diced celery, and a few sliced grapes to create a tasty trifecta of sweet-smokey-savory. Or dress a bed of seasonal greens with your favorite dressing and shredded chicken.
- Pizza – make homemade chicken pizza your way. Use a base of olive oil, pesto or tomato sauce and add toppings of sliced red peppers, minced garlic, fresh goat cheese and oregano. Make smaller flat bread-style pizzas for group gatherings.
Do you enjoy smoked meats and seafood? Don’t stop at chicken, visit the Co-op’s CURED meat marketplace to experience a variety of other handmade, smoked items, including:
- Bacon (Savory, Maple, Double Smoked, Garlic & Black Pepper, Jalapeno) – umm, you know what to do – it’s bacon. Enjoy it for breakfast, make BLT(A)s, serve on burgers, etc.
- Smoked Sausages (Kielbasa, Andouille, Hot Dog, Hot Dog with Cheese) – enjoy as the basis for a sausage skillet with rice and veggies, or serve diced with pasta or as bite-sized appetizers.
- Smoked Salmon, Oysters & Scallops – get creative, cook with smoked seafood and make vibrant platters, salads, dips, stews and more.
- Smoked Marrow Bones – flavorful CURED smoked marrow bones are rich and ready to heat. Warm gently in the oven over low heat, serve with toast, olives, radish, sauteed onions and a small salad of bitter greens.
Spicy Chicken Breakfast Hash
- 2 cups diced or shredded CURED smoked chicken
- 1 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 large jalapeños – stemmed, seeded and minced
- 1/2 teaspoon finely chopped thyme
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 large baked potato, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice (2 1/2 cups)
- Freshly grated American Grana parmesan-style cheese (Co-op Basics)
In a large cast-iron skillet, melt the butter in the olive oil. Add the green pepper, onion, jalapeños, garlic, thyme and a generous pinch each of salt and pepper. Cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until softened and just starting to brown, about 7 minutes. Stir in the potato and chicken and flatten the mixture with a spatula. Cook over high heat until crusty on the bottom, about 5 minutes. Working in sections, turn the hash over and cook until browned on the other side, 3 to 5 minutes.
Using the back of a spoon, make 4 depressions in the hash. Carefully crack the eggs into the depressions and season with salt and pepper. Cover the skillet and cook over moderate heat until the egg whites are just set but the yolks are runny, about 4 minutes. Sprinkle the hash with grated cheese and serve right out of the skillet.