Use the Whole Bird: Deli Roasted Chicken Recipes
Roasted chicken was once something served just in restaurants, but with the advent of in-store roasters, it’s now available at your local Co-op. Serve this conveniently ready to eat meat with your favorite side dishes, and be sure to save your leftovers. That juicy roasted chicken is full of delicious potential for quick and easy meals throughout for the week. Use the pre-cooked chicken to whip up quick quesadillas, nachos, rice dishes or pasta salad.
Visit our Deli hot bar to select your freshly whole roasted chicken. We source only locally raised, free range birds from Draper Valley Farms. Read on for a few recipes on using your leftover chicken.
Seasonal Chicken Lettuce Cups
Locally harvested, seasonal fruit is a perfect complement to chicken meat. Use your favorite: strawberries in spring, cherries or peaches in summer, and apples or pears in fall. Select your favorite type of lettuce to hold the filling.
- First, wash a head of butter lettuce and separate the leaves. Spin dry.
- Chop some fresh veggies, such as: celery, scallions, and carrot.
- Wash and prepare seasonal fruit into bite sized chunks.
- In a large bowl, combine pulled chicken, fruit, vegetables and a little mayo or yogurt to bind together.
- Pack the lettuce, loosely wrapped with a paper towel, in a large zip-top bag for later use.
- To serve, spoon the chicken mixture into the lettuce cups. Top with a handful of almonds, if desired.
Sandwiches: Banh Mi & Pan Bagnat
Use light or dark chicken meat to create flavorful sandwiches with your leftovers. Tasty Banh Mi sandwiches are taking the food scene by storm, based on bright Vietnamese flavors stuffed into a crispy baguette. For a simple version, follow these steps:
- Use shredded chicken (dark or light meat will do) with a few sprinkles of fish sauce or soy sauce and some five spice powder.
- Shred about a thumb-sized piece of daikon radish and a carrot, mix the two and sprinkle with rice vinegar, a pinch of sugar and a pinch of salt. Pack this radish carrot mixture separately in a small jar.
- Slice a baguette in half lengthwise, and pull out a bit of the soft bread.
- Spread with mayo and sriracha sauce to taste, add a few leaves of lettuce, some sliced jalapenos and cilantro and the shredded chicken.
- Wrap in foil or plastic wrap and keep cold until lunchtime.
- Drain the (quick-pickled) daikon radish mixture and add it to your sandwich just before eating.
The classic French Pan Bagnat is a tuna salad sandwich, but this version, made with chicken, is equally delicious:
- Take a baguette, slice it in half, and pluck out some of the center to make room for the filling.
- In a bowl, mix shredded chicken, some of your favorite vinaigrette, a handful of sliced olives, sliced roasted red peppers, chopped fresh parsley or basil and slivered red onion.
- Stuff the baguette and wrap tightly in plastic wrap. The vinaigrette marinates the ingredients and soaks into the bread, melding the sandwich into a delicious whole.
While traditionally served for breakfast, this hearty version of chilaquiles with chicken makes a quick weeknight main dish, too. Salad greens tossed with crisp radish slices and quick-pickled red onions are a tasty side.
- 1 16-ounce jar tomatillo salsa
- 1 cup diced white onion
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and chopped
- 3 poblano peppers, seeded and diced
- 1/2 bunch cilantro, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 pound chicken tenders
- Tortilla chips
- 1 1/2 cups crumbled queso fresco cheese
- 1 1/2 cups diced avocado
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/2 cup sliced radishes
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
Directions: In a food processor or blender, blend together the salsa, onion, peppers, cilantro, garlic and salt. Pour the blended sauce into a skillet over medium heat, add the chicken tenders and cook for 8 minutes, turning tenders halfway through the cooking time, until chicken is cooked.
Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Place a layer of tortilla chips on the baking sheet, pour half of the chicken and sauce on top and add half of the queso fresco. Add a second layer of tortilla chips, chicken and sauce, and top with the remaining queso fresco and your choice of optional toppings. Serve immediately.