Rain or shine, it’s nearly summertime in the Pacific Northwest. Head for the great outdoors – camping, hiking, boating, and making s’mores. Fluffy and melt-in-your mouth, marshmallows are a treat anytime of year. Pair them with a campfire, cookies and chocolate – and everything just gets better.
The classic graham cracker s’more will always be a family favorite, but if you want to build the ultimate s’more for more finger-licking fun, here are a few ideas:
- Try freshly baked Co-op CRUST & CRUMBS cookies like Butter Shortbread or Salted Breton as a base instead of the original graham
- Insert a chunk of our housemade chocolate covered toffee
- Add your choice of CRUST & CRUMBS Vanilla Bean, Chocolate or Peppermint marshmallows.
- Go for a chocolate trifecta with dark chocolate and chocolate marshmallows sandwiches between our chocolate chip cookies.
If you’re a fan of funky flavors, SmashMallows are a must-try. These premium marshmallows are available in a range of flavors, including: Root Beer, Strawberry and Pineapple. Made with 100% organic sugar and gluten free, these snackable marshmallows are tasty in their own right, but can take your s’more-making to the next level.
- Toasted Coconut & Pineapple SmashMallow – taste of the tropics with this pineapple marshmallow that’s rolled in toasted coconut flakes. A treat on its own, combine it with CRUST & CRUMBS Almond Coconut Macaroon and Theo Chocolate’s Spicy Chile dark chocolate bar for a tiki party in your mouth.
- Root Beer SmashMallow – this nostalgic flavor tastes like a miniature root beer float.
- Strawberry SmashMallow – red, ripe strawberry puree meets creamy vanilla marshmallow. Pair it with milk chocolate and almonds on CRUST & CRUMBS shortbread for a riff on chocolate covered strawberries.
The S’more Method
While the purists insist on the simple, traditional S’more cooking method: marshmallow stabbed with a hand-whittled a stick, toasted over the fire until golden brown (or on fire). When cooked to preference, smash the hot marshmallow between two graham crackers with a bar of your favorite chocolate. The result is a gooey, tasty treat.
But if you want the sweet without sticky, keep reading for another way to create a memorable campfire treat with less mess.
Campside S’Mores Packets
Recipe inspired from sunset.com
- Pairs of Graham crackers
- Marshmallows, to desired ratio
- Chocolate bars, to desired ratio
- Vegetable oil
Directions: Fold 12 sheets of foil, each 12 by 20 in., in half crosswise; then oil tops. Center 1 graham cracker on each oiled doubled sheet, then top with a chocolate piece, marshmallow, and another cracker. Gently fold foil over s’mores and crimp to seal.
Heat packets on a cooking grate over glowing coals in a campfire or on a grill over medium heat (about 350° F), turning often just until chocolate softens, 2 to 3 minutes. Or, using tongs, grasp packets on sides and heat over a low fire. Assemble the packs ahead of time, store up to 3 days, airtight and chilled, before heating.