Co-op History by the Numbers
Current number of household owner-members
- Two Moves
- 1973 The Co-op opened as a buying club in a Presbyterian church basement near downtown Mount Vernon
- 1974 The Co-op moved to 2nd & Pine St., Mount Vernon
- 1985 The Co-op moved to its current location on South First St & Division, in the Uptowne Center (renamed The Co-op Building in 2005)
- 1988 The Deli opened on November 17
- 1991 An Additional 4,000 sq. ft. on the first floor was added to retail space
- 2001 Expanded retail space to utilize the entire first floor of the building & added Deli mezzanine seating
- 2005 Purchased the building and renamed it “The Co-op Building”
- 2007 Mercantile moved to the mezzanine
- 2009 Co-op Building loan fully paid
- 2010 First year Patronage dividends were declared & distributed to member-owners
- 2013 Purchased Community Services Building from Skagit County. This property is adjacent to the Co-op and includes 58 parking spaces and a 6,500 sq ft building that is currently occupied by Skagit County employees. The building will be used for C•SQUARE, which includes five culinary experiences: CURED, CUPPA, CONES, CRUST & CRUMBS, and the Third Street Cafe.
- 2016 C•SQUARE and the Third Street Cafe opened September. Visit our new website here.