4% Friday: a Community Shopping Day
Once a year, the Community Relations Committee of the Board of Trustees of the Skagit Valley Food Co-op accepts and reviews the applications of non-sectarian, non-partisan charitable community groups for participation in 4% Friday, a Community Shopping Day. Groups chosen, one per month for the calendar year, are honored with 4% of the day’s gross receipts at the Skagit Valley Food Co-op.
These community groups are selected for their service to the community in the following areas; local community service organizations, organic food, natural health, environmentally friendly and sustainable agricultural practices, human rights, environmental preservation, and groups with “like minded” mission statements. We also hope to fill at least one slot for an organization with a focus on youth.
Congratulations to our 2017 4% Friday Recipient Groups!
- January 27: Viva Farms
- February 24: Children of the Valley
- March 24: Skagit Fisheries Enhancement Group
- April 28: Concrete Schools
- May 26: Sedro-Woolley Food Forest
- June 23: Skagit Barter Faire
- July 28: Bridget Collins Family Support Center
- August 25: Secret Harbor
- September 22: Community Action Adult Education
- October 27: Friendship House
- November 17: Skagit County Meals on Wheels
- December 22: Community Action Food Distribution Center
Tokens for Tomorrow
The next time you visit the Co-op, remember to bring your own bag with you or use one of the used boxes we keep at the front of the store. You’ll receive a Co-op token for each full-sized new paper bag that you save. Help the environment, save us some money, and share the wealth! If you’d still like to receive the customary nickel back for bringing your bag, just let your cashier know.
The Co-op’s Community Relations Committee, which includes current and former Co-op Board members, and our Marketing and Outreach Manager, choose four recipient groups for each quarter. Recipient groups are chosen in line with the Co-op’s Mission Statement and Donation Policy. Take a look at our Tokens for Tomorrow display next to the front registers to read more about this quarter’s recipient groups, or read on! We also always have donation boxes for the local food banks at each register.
Want to support local community organizations with your Tokens? Here’s what to do!
- Bring in your own bag and let your cashier fill it with the groceries you’ve picked out at the Co-op that day.
- Choose which of the four recipient groups that you’d like to support with your token.
- Put your token in one of the four jars across from the registers.
- Tokens are worth a nickel and at the end of the quarter we’ll make the donations and choose new recipient groups.