4% Friday: Double Donation Community Shopping Days
Once a year, the Community Relations Committee of the Board of Trustees of the Skagit Valley Food Co-op accepts and reviews the applications of non-sectarian, non-partisan charitable community groups for participation in 4% Friday, a Community Shopping Day. 12 groups are chosen, and on the 4th Friday of every month, you shop and together we give 4% of the day’s sales to that organization!
This year, 4% Friday is twice as nice! We are thrilled to announce that the Co-op has partnered with the Skagit Community Foundation to match all of our 4% Friday giving for 2021. Now, when you shop our 4% Friday Community Shopping Days, your shopping trip will have twice the impact! Together, we’ll give 4% of the day’s sales to a local group, and Skagit Community Foundation will match that total to double the donation.
We are blown away by SCF’s generosity and are excited to give you an opportunity to give back in an even bigger way when you shop at the Co-op. Mark your calendars for the 4th Friday of the month to support the groups listed below.
These community groups are selected for their service to the community in the following areas: local community service organizations, organic food, natural health, environmentally friendly and sustainable agricultural practices, human rights, environmental preservation, and groups with like-minded mission statements.
Applications for 2022 are now available!
4% Friday groups are selected once a year, and the 2022 application is now available HERE. You may download it and fill it out digitally or print and fill it out by hand. The deadline to submit is September 30, 2021
Congratulations to our 2021 4% Friday Groups for Double Donation Days!
- January 22: Viva Farms – $4,782
- February 26: Skagit County Meals on Wheels – $4,958
- March 26: Children of the Valley – $5,366
- April 23: Mount Vernon Farmers Market – $6,025
- May 28: Concrete Farm to School – $5,544
- June 25: Camp Korey – $5,500
- July 23: Skagit Gleaners – $5,396
- August 27: Food to Go – $5,380
- September 24: YMCA Oasis Teen Shelter
- October 22: One Community One Family
- November 19: Skagit DVSAS
- December 17: Anacortes Family Center
2020 4% Friday Giving:
- January 24: Immigrant Resources & Immediate Support – $2,446
- February 28: Page Ahead Literacy Program – $2,788
- March 27: Skagit Valley Farmers Market Coalition – $1,688
- April 24: North Cascades Institute – $2,287
- May 22: Family Promise – $2,547
- June 26: Sedro-Woolley Farm to School – $2,148
- July 24: Skagit Animals in Need – $2,302
- August 28: Mount Vernon Library Foundation – $2,132
- September 25: Brigid Collins – $2,242
- October 23: MVPD Homeless Outreach – $2,558
- November 20: Underground Writing – $2,885
- December 18: Friendship House – $3,217
Tokens for Tomorrow
The next time you visit the Co-op, remember to bring your own bag with you or use one of the used boxes we keep at the front of the store. You’ll receive a Co-op token for each full-sized new paper bag that you save. Help the environment, save us some money, and share the wealth! If you’d still like to receive the customary nickel back for bringing your bag, just let your cashier know.
The Co-op’s Community Relations Committee, which includes current and former Co-op Board members, and our Marketing and Outreach Manager, choose four recipient groups for each quarter. Recipient groups are chosen in line with the Co-op’s Mission Statement and Donation Policy. Take a look at our Tokens for Tomorrow display next to the front registers to read more about this quarter’s recipient groups! We also always have donation boxes for the local food banks at each register.
Want to support local community organizations with your Tokens? Here’s what to do!
- Bring in your own bag and let your cashier fill it with the groceries you’ve picked out at the Co-op that day.
- Choose which of the four recipient groups that you’d like to support with your token.
- Put your token in one of the four jars across from the registers.
- Tokens are worth a nickel and at the end of the quarter, we’ll make the donations and choose new recipient groups.
2021 Tokens for Tomorrow Recipients
1st Quarter Tokens for Tomorrow Recipients, January-March 2021
- Voices of the Children $160.10 | 3,202 tokens
- Skagit Fisheries Enhancement Group $148.82 | 2,976 tokens
- Skagit Trail Builders $188.90 | 3,778 tokens
- Family Promise $168.76 | 3,375 tokens
2nd Quarter Tokens for Tomorrow Recipients, April 2021-June 2021
- Reach Out & Read $171.85 | 3,437 tokens
- Skagit Land Trust $396.60 | 7,932 tokens
- Helping Hands Food Bank $290.90 | 5,818 tokens
- Northwest Youth Services $207.05 | 4,141 tokens
3rd Quarter Tokens for Tomorrow Recipients, July 2021-September 2021
2020 Tokens for Tomorrow Recipients
1st Quarter Tokens for Tomorrow Recipients, January-March 2020