4% Friday: A Community Shopping Day
Once a year, the Community Relations Committee of the Board of Trustees of the Skagit Valley Food Co-op accepts and reviews the applications of non-sectarian, non-partisan charitable community groups for participation in 4% Friday, a Community Shopping Day. 12 groups are chosen, and on the 4th Friday of every month, you shop and together we give 4% of the day’s sales to that organization!
These community groups are selected for their service to the community in the following areas: local community service organizations, organic food, natural health, environmentally friendly and sustainable agricultural practices, human rights, environmental preservation, and groups with like-minded mission statements.
The application submission period for 2019 4% Friday is now closed. Check back in July 2019 to become a 4% Friday recipient in 2020.
Congratulations to our 2019 4% Friday Groups!
- January 25: Skagit County Meals on Wheels
- February 22: Skagit Valley College Second Chance Scholarship
- March 22: Camp Korey Garden Program
- April 26: Community Action Adult Education
- May 24: Emerson High School (Youthnet)
- June 28: Communities in Schools
- July 26: The Million Waves Project
- August 23: YMCA Oasis Teen Shelter
- September 27: Children’s Council of Skagit County
- October 25: Helping Hands Food Bank
- November 22: La Leche League
- December 27: Skagit Adult Day Program
2018 4% Friday Giving:
- January 26: Anacortes Middle School Garden to Kitchen Classes – $2,398
- February 23: The DreamFields Project – $2,329
- March 23: Fidalgo Island & Guemes Gleaners – $2,416
- April 27: Food From Farms – $2,484
- May 25: Skagit Animals in Need (SAIN) – $2,650
- June 22: Skagitonians to Preserve Farmland’s InFARMation Programs – $2,388
- July 27: Voices of the Children – $2,461
- August 24: Mount Vernon Parks Foundation Outdoor Education for Youth – $2,252
- September 28: Greenwood Tree Educational Cooperative – $2,446
- October 26: Skagit Land Trust’s Engaging Youth in Conservation – $2,332
- November 16: Anacortes Family Center – $2,410
- December 28: Community Action Skagit Food Distribution Center – $2,280
Tokens for Tomorrow
The next time you visit the Co-op, remember to bring your own bag with you or use one of the used boxes we keep at the front of the store. You’ll receive a Co-op token for each full-sized new paper bag that you save. Help the environment, save us some money, and share the wealth! If you’d still like to receive the customary nickel back for bringing your bag, just let your cashier know.
The Co-op’s Community Relations Committee, which includes current and former Co-op Board members, and our Marketing and Outreach Manager, choose four recipient groups for each quarter. Recipient groups are chosen in line with the Co-op’s Mission Statement and Donation Policy. Take a look at our Tokens for Tomorrow display next to the front registers to read more about this quarter’s recipient groups! We also always have donation boxes for the local food banks at each register.
Want to support local community organizations with your Tokens? Here’s what to do!
- Bring in your own bag and let your cashier fill it with the groceries you’ve picked out at the Co-op that day.
- Choose which of the four recipient groups that you’d like to support with your token.
- Put your token in one of the four jars across from the registers.
- Tokens are worth a nickel and at the end of the quarter we’ll make the donations and choose new recipient groups.
- Friends of the Mt. Vernon Library
- Boys & Girls Club of Skagit County
- Northwest Agricultural Research Foundation
- Clear Lake Elementary Visions Nature Club
2018 Tokens for Tomorrow Recipients
- Finney Farms Seed Distribution $274.45 | 5,489 tokens
- Skagit Conservation Education Alliance (SCEA) $218.74 | 4,375 tokens
- Food Action $332.55 | 6,651 tokens
- Skagit Habitat for Humanity $319.27 | 6,385 tokens
- Northwest Youth Services $329.52 | 6,590 tokens
- Skagit Gleaners $301.10 | 6,022 tokens
- Skagit Symphony $294.10 | 5,882 tokens
- Communities in Schools $252.97 | 5,509 tokens
- La Conner Sunrise Food Bank $313.95 | 6,279 tokens
- Concrete Farm to School Program $399.46 | 7,989 tokens
- Mt. Baker-Fidalgo Youth Symphony $221.55 | 4,431 tokens
- Foundation for Academic Endeavors $183.05 | 3,661 tokens