The Cheese Whisperer: Fresh & Organic Cheese from Samish Bay
Samish Bay Cheese is one of the closest dairy farms to the Skagit Valley Food Co-op. Nestled in the scenic town of Bow, near Blanchard Mountain and the Chuckanut foothills, Samish Bay is a 200-acre farm owned by Suzanne and Roger Wechsler.
- 5 pounds Russet Potatoes, Peeled And Boiled Until Fork Tender
- 8 whole Egg Yolks
- 1 stick Butter, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons Salt, more or less to taste
- Black Pepper, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon Nutmeg, more to taste
- 1/4 cup Samish Bay Cheese Vache
- 1 whole Egg
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
Preheat oven to 375 °F. Lay boiled potatoes on a baking sheet and place into the oven for 10-15 minutes, or until slightly dried on the surface.
Remove the potatoes from the oven and process potatoes through a ricer or food mill. Allow to cool in a bowl for about 5 minutes. Add egg yolks, butter, a couple of generous pinches of salt, a generous pinch of pepper, a pinch of nutmeg and 1/4 cup Vache. Stir with a rubber spatula to combine. Taste and make sure the potatoes have been adequately salted.
Transfer to a large pastry bag and pipe through a large star tip in a circular/upward spiral motion. Bake at 375 °F until golden brown around the edges. Tip: If needed, make the potatoes ahead of time and store in the fridge, then bake at the last minute.
Garlic Dill Kefir Dip
A zesty and healthful dip for fresh or roasted vegetables, crackers, falafel, and more!
- 1 cup Samish Bay Organic Kefir cheese
- 2 tablespoon fresh dill, chopped (1 tbsp. dried dill)
- 1 tsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon minced onion
- 1-2 garlic cloves, mashed with a pinch of sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper (optional)
- Juice from 1/2 lemon
- Sea salt, to taste
- Olive oil
Combine all the ingredients except the olive oil and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours to develop the dip flavors. Drizzle with olive oil prior to serving.