Sage Derby Naan Pizza
Sage Derby is not commonly found in the United States, due to the popularity of its cousin cheese: cheddar. Made in the town of Derby in the Eastern Midlands of England since the seventeenth century, Sage Derby is a traditional farmstead cheese. Aged from 1-3 months for a mild, creamy, semi-soft texture, this cheese has delicate flavors of mint, sage, and sweet grass. Cheese makers achieve the signature bright green marbling of Sage Derby by adding rubbed sage leaves and spinach powder. Regularly $16.99 per pound, this delightful cheese is now on super sale for $8.99 per pound!
This cheese is full of flavor and a great helper in the kitchen. Nibble on cubes or slices, or serve it as a colorful contrast on a cheese board alongside olives, walnuts, and fresh cherries. Pair the bright, bold flavors of Sage Derby with crisp, refreshing white wines or a mellow, well-balanced ale, such as Fremont Brewing’s Session Pale Ale or Pike’s Heirloom Amber ale.
Try using versatile Sage Derby in a recipe. Add it to a basic sandwich, egg scramble, cheese dip, or pasta dish, or melt over nachos. Experiment with the following recipe for homemade mini pizza with a base of Indian-style Naan bread. This recipe is a great way to use leftover vegetables and cooked meats in new combinations.
Sage Derby Naan Pizza Recipe
Makes single serving
- 1 Naan bread, or other type of flat bread
- Pizza sauce: olive oil, basil pesto or tomato sauce, to taste
- 2 oz. Sage Derby cheese, shredded or thinly sliced
- Handful of chopped roasted (or fresh) seasonal vegetables, such as onions, peppers, tomatoes, zucchini, pineapple, or peaches
- 2 oz. cooked meat or sliced lunch meat such as ham, chicken, or turkey (optional)
- Fresh ground black pepper, Parmesan cheese & fresh parsley for garnish
Heat oven to 300 degrees F. Take flat bread and brush with desired pizza sauce. Then add Sage Derby and arrange vegetables and meats evenly. Bake in oven or toaster oven for 5 minutes, or until cheese is melted. Sprinkle with fresh pepper, Parmesan cheese, and parsley. Serve with a green side salad.